What is Lip Balm: What You Need to Know
You may think you know everything you need to about lip balm. After all, you buy a stick, apply it to your lips, and you are done. But lip balm is only simple when you buy the right product.
Cracked and chapped lips are painful to have and hard to conceal. They can make you feel self-conscious and even interfere with eating. Ever chew a salty pretzel with cracked lips? Drink a margarita?
What it is and Why It’s Essential
Lip balm is a soft wax-like substance you apply to saturate and ease the soreness caused by having dry or chapped lips. Because the skin on your lips is thin, it is more prone to dryness compared to other areas of the skin. This wax-like substance helps shield your lips from dry air, wind, and especially cold temperatures.
Men and women often choose lip balms to fix chapped lips during the wintertime. Like mentioned above, a good one will relieve the dryness while giving your lips a soft and glossy look. In contrast, a bad one won’t relieve your symptoms and will make your lips look greasy. That’s why finding the right one is essential to your winter and year round comfort.
You should never leave home without your keys, wallet or lip balm. Lip balm addicts never leave the house without several tubes. In fact, Americans spend over 200 million dollars each year on it alone, with nearly 66 percent of people using it daily. We don’t look at it as a national obsession, but rather a national essential that every individual should have.
How is Tinted Different?
Think of the tinted version as giving your lips a hint of color, while hydrating, moisturizing, and sometimes providing other skincare benefits like sun protection and anti-aging properties. Tinted lip balm can be a great alternative to lipstick or the regular type. The tint can add a subtle pop of color to your lips – great for a day look or a night out. Start by choosing a tinted lip balm that has SPF 20 and that is packed with the cleanest and most beneficial botanical ingredients.
Advantages of Lip Balms
When you need a little glossy boost, sticks of lip balm are an excellent choice. They are easy to carry and allow you to instantly add moisture while on-the-go. They’re so effective because they are highly concentrated with lip-soothing ingredients. Since they’re are void of water, they deliver lubrication directly to your lips. Their formulation also means they do not need excess preservatives. If you are someone who seeks lip balms that are free from nasty chemicals, this fact will be important to you. Before you buy, look for lip balms that are preserved using essential oils and/or vitamin E.
Besides being lightweight and convenient, the major advantages include:
- Super concentration: You can apply less to achieve the same results as alternatives like lotion and petroleum jelly.
- Faster healing: The skin on your lips is thinner than elsewhere on your body. The extra hydration allows it to heal more quickly.
- Plumper look: Simply applying it can plump up your lips. When they are dry, they actually shrink in size.
SPF Protection: Some lip balms contain SPF protection that shields your lips from sun damage – keeping them healthy and young-looking.
Disadvantages of Lip Balms
Like all products, lip balm has both advantages and disadvantages. However, the disadvantages often occur by choosing the wrong product. The dangers include the following:
- Allergic reaction – Some contain allergens that can cause a rash. Ironically, this rash often looks like chapped lips and can be painful.
- Dangerous chemicals – Certain lip products include dangerous chemicals that can cause physical damage. Avoid products that use damaging ingredients like paraffin, dyes, petrolatum and phenol. Choose brands with natural ingredients, like All Good Bodycare.
- Contamination – Some can cause infections if you are not careful to follow best practices. Avoid spreading the balm with your finger unless you carefully wash your hands first. Also, do not share lip balm unless you want someone else’s viruses or bacteria. Be sure to dispose of it after a few months or after you’ve been ill. You should not be using last year’s product.
All lip balms are not created equal. The best practice is to buy products that are free of nasty chemicals, such as All Good’s Organic Original Lip Balms, and to use hygienic application practices.
All Good Lip Balms nourish you with organic and non-toxic ingredients to offer the best protection for your lips and body. These products are petroleum-free, paraben-free, GMO-free and cruelty-free. They contain no pesticides, gluten or oxybenzone and are perfect for vegetarians. In addition to keeping your lips soft, smooth and supple, they come in delicious flavors like coconut and tangerine. Like your lip balm with SPF protection and/or unscented? All Good has your product. You get all the wonderful advantages without the unhealthy drawbacks. Shop our collection of lip protection today!
Thanks so much